Types of best infant thermometer
As you would expect, the best infant thermometer uses some of the latest technology to improve comfort and accuracy to diagnose a fever. The latest Temporal Artery Thermometers were released back in 2019. They and the infra-red ear thermometers allow an infant’s temperature to be taken without physically touching your baby. We can now take their temperature while sleeping.
Another innovation is the 3-in-1 / “Dual” thermometers to provide more options and multiple readings. Let’s discuss some of the more popular kinds available:
Best infant thermometer for Placement
There are basically five places to take a body temperature measurement of an infant:
The younger the best infant thermometer, the easier it is to take their temperature measurement using a rectal thermometer. This goes, uh, you know, in the little one’s bottom.
The rectal thermometer is still the “Gold Standard” for newborns. They are the most accurate but can be uncomfortable for infants. Probably the least favorite for parents taking a baby’s temperature, too.
As they get older, this gets to be quite a bit more problematic to take the temperature this way.
- Best For babies under 6 months old
- Con: it’s comfortable.
- Benefit: Very accurate method of reading body temperature
TIP: Many of the newer thermometers are dual-purpose oral & rectal thermometers. Once you use a thermometer rectally, take a sharpie and mark it as such on the thermometer. While you could clean the thermometer thoroughly and use it later as an oral thermometer, we don’t recommend it. Why take the risk?
Best infant thermometer for ear
Many doctors have moved on to the baby ear thermometer. It’s the second most accurate method, is quick, with little fuss.
CHECK ON AMAZON
Digital Ear thermometers use an infra-red beam to check the child’s temperature inside the ear canal. They work just fine with adults but are not recommended for infants younger than 6 months. Or older if your baby is a bit fidgety like mine…!
They’re one of the best baby ear thermometers to detect a fever.
There are infants that complain when the tip of the thermometer is shoved into their ear, so it’s not for every child.
- Best For Infants over 6 months old
- Con: The ear canal needs to be big enough to get a temperature measurement, which makes it mainly for older babies.
- Benefit: Accurate and quick. One of the easiest methods to get a temperature measurement.
The forehead is an easy place to take a temperature measurement. These are commonly referred to as forehead thermometers, but you often see them labeled in stores as temporal artery thermometers.
A temporal artery thermometer is a type of thermometer that uses infra-red technology to scan an infant’s forehead and get a fast, precise temperature reading. You don’t even need to actually touch your infant’s head. Just swipe from a few inches away for a temperature reading.
These aren’t as accurate as rectal or ear thermometers, but the convenience makes them so appealing.
- Best for any age
- Con: Accuracy depends on buying a really good thermometer. As well as practice in taking the temperature. Most people take 3-4 temperature measurements to make sure they get a reliable reading.
- Benefit: Very quick to get a temperature measurement and identify a fever.
The armpit is one of the easiest places to take a temperature. But the armpit Best infant thermometer is also one of the least accurate methods to take a temperature measurement.
- Best for any age
- Con: not very accurate.
- Benefit: Super easy to take a temperature measurement.
Taking a temperature measurement orally is one of the oldest and proven methods. It’s still used in many doctors’ offices. But it is also one of the most problematic methods as it takes time to take the temperature, anywhere from 10-60 seconds. And that length of time to keep a probe under the tongue can feel like an eternity to a sick infant.
- Best For: older kids over 4 years old
- Con: They take a while to get a reading and placement in the mouth can vary accuracy. You also need to make sure it stays sanitary and clean after every temperature measurement.
- Benefit: Tried and proven method probably, very accurate, and probably used by your mom and grandmother
Best infant thermometer
The best infant thermometer for adults & kids all over the world.