Do you know the How to Use Omron Blood Pressure Monitor. An Omron blood pressure monitor can make blood pressure monitoring at home quick and easy.
It is simple to learn and requires only a few steps to effectively operate. Before you take a reading using how to use Omron blood pressure monitor, find a quiet place to sit and relax for at least five minutes.
It is very important that your body is relaxed while taking the reading because even a small amount of movement or activity can affect the accuracy of the reading.
What is Omron Blood Pressure Monitor
Omron blood pressure monitors are popular because they are easy to use, accurate, and reliable. They are often used by people who have high blood pressure or other cardiovascular conditions, as well as by healthcare professionals who need to monitor their patients’ blood pressure regularly. Some models can also store and track multiple readings over time, which can be useful for tracking changes in blood pressure and identifying trends.
Importance of Daily Monitoring
High blood pressure can trigger a number of heart, and circulatory complications, especially in individuals with diabetes, high cholesterol levels, and other lifestyle diseases. As blood pressure abnormalities cause very few symptoms, they often go undetected.
The only way to detect blood pressure problems is to have them measured using a blood pressure monitor.
Since the blood pressure readings can vary throughout the day, doctors now recommend that you take several readings in a day. With the latest Omron blood pressure monitor, you can easily measure and record multiple readings in the comfort of your home.
Taking home blood pressure readings can help your physician get a better picture of your condition and the success of the prescribed treatments.
How to Use Omron Blood Pressure Monitor
Before wrapping the cuff on your arm, make sure that it is assembled properly. If not, pass the end of the cuff through the metal D-ring and form a loop in such a way that the smooth side is on the inside and the rough hook material is on the outside of the cuff.
After a five-minute rest, put your arm through the cuff loop, wrap it around the center of your upper arm and pull the end of the cuff till it fits snugly before pressing the sewn hook surface firmly on the side of the cuff.
Ensure that the cuff is not too tight on your arm. Ideally, you should be able to insert your index finger between the cuff and your arm without any difficulty.
Be still and relaxed throughout the testing so that you get accurate blood pressure readings.
If you are using a semi-automatic blood pressure monitor, squeeze the inflation bulb until the cuff inflates until the monitor acknowledges the right amount of pressure.
In fully automatic monitors, all you need to do is to put on the cuff and press the start button. The monitor will automatically handle the inflation and deflation of the cuff and display the blood pressure reading on the screen.
Take multiple readings with a five-minute interval between them, until you get a consistent value because various factors like movement.
Talking can cause considerable fluctuations in the blood pressure values in each reading. Record each reading into the in-built memory of the monitor and print them on paper for your doctor to peruse.
How do I prepare for taking a blood pressure reading with my Omron monitor?
1. Sit in a chair with your feet flat on the ground and your back straight.
2. Make sure your arm is relaxed and supported at heart level.
3. Avoid eating, drinking, smoking, and exercising for at least 30 minutes prior to taking a measurement.
4. Wait 5-10 minutes before taking a measurement if you have just walked or talked.
How do I apply the cuff of my Omron monitor?
1. Slide your arm through the cuff loop and position the cuff about 1 inch above your elbow.
2. Make sure the cuff is snug but not too tight, and the bottom edge of the cuff is about 1/2 inch above your elbow crease.
How do I turn on my Omron monitor and take a measurement?
1. Press the “ON/OFF” button to turn on the monitor.
2. Wait for the “OK” symbol to appear on the screen.
3. Press the “START” button to begin the measurement.
4. Remain still and quiet while the monitor inflates and deflates.
5. Record the measurement displayed on the screen.
How do I interpret the results of my blood pressure reading?
1. Normal blood pressure is generally considered to be below 120/80 mmHg.
2. Prehypertension is when the systolic pressure is between 120-139 mmHg or diastolic pressure is between 80-89 mmHg.
3. Hypertension is when the systolic pressure is 140 mmHg or higher or the diastolic pressure is 90 mmHg or higher.
How do I store and care for my Omron monitor?
1. Keep the monitor in a cool and dry place.
2. Avoid exposing the monitor to extreme temperatures or humidity.
3. Clean the monitor and cuff with a damp cloth after each use.
4. Replace the batteries as needed.
5. Have the monitor recalibrated every 2 years by a qualified service technician.
In conclusion, to properly use an Omron blood pressure monitor, it’s important to first sit quietly for a few minutes to allow your body to relax. Make sure your feet are flat on the floor and your arm is resting on a flat surface.
Then, wrap the cuff snugly around your upper arm, with the bottom edge of the cuff about an inch above your elbow. Turn on the monitor and follow the instructions on the screen to take your reading. Be sure to record your readings and share them with your healthcare provider to monitor your blood pressure over time.