Mouth Thermometer

A Mouth temperature (TEM-per-ah-chur) is when the mouth is used to take your temperature. Temperature measures body heat. A mouth thermometer (the-MOM-uh) is employed to require your temperature in your mouth. A person should be 5 years or older to possess a temperature taken within the mouth.

Why do I need to check a mouth temperature?

You may need to check a mouth temperature to learn if you or a family member has a fever. “Fever” may be a word used for a temperature that’s above normal for the body. Fever is typically a symbol of illness, infection, or other conditions. The normal mouth temperature for adults is about 98.6° F (37° C).

What kind of thermometer is used to take an mouth temperature?

• A digital thermometer is used to take a mouth temperature. It is a little hand-held device with a “window” showing your temperature in numbers. There are many kinds of digital thermometers. Most mouth thermometer review are easy to use and measure blood heat within seconds. Carefully read the instructions before using your digital thermometer. Digital thermometers are often bought at grocery, drug, or medical supply stores.

• Glass thermometers with alcohol inside may also be used for mouth temperatures. This thermometer may be a thin glass tube with a red or blue line inside it. These thermometers are safe to use for people over the age of 5. A child younger than 5 may bite the thermometer, breaking it in their mouth.

Glass Thermometer Used to Check

Glass thermometers with (GAL-in-stan) may also be used to check a mouth temperature. These thermometers have a silver-colored line but are going to be marked “mercury-free” once you buy one. Alcohol-filled and glass thermometers are harder to seek out in regular grocery stores.

• In the past, mercury (MER-Kure-e) thermometers were used. This thermometer may be a thin glass tube with a silver tip and line inside. The silvertip and line is mercury. Mercury is a toxic and hazardous chemical. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), and other organizations warn against using mercury thermometers.

If the thermometer breaks, the mercury could also be breathed in or absorbed (soaked) into your skin. If a glass thermometer breaks while checking a mouth temperature, the mercury may be swallowed. Mercury is bad for your health, also as for the water, wildlife, and waste systems on earth.

• If you have a mercury thermometer, replace it with a digital thermometer. You may also replace it with a glass thermometer having alcohol or rather than mercury in it. If your mercury-in-glass thermometer breaks, don’t touch the thermometer or the mercury. Do not try to clean up the spill. Open your windows to air out the area. Take children and pets out of the world directly.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *